Sunday, June 24, 2018 Sermon:
How to be made whole
Luke 17: 12-19 (KJV)
- And as he entered into a certain village, there met him ten men that were lepers, which stood afar off:
- And they lifted up their voices, and said, Jesus, Master, have mercy on us.
- And when he saw them, he said unto them, Go show yourselves unto the priests. And it came to pass, that, as they went, they were cleansed.
- And one of them, when he saw that he was healed, turned back, and with a loud voice glorified God,
- And fell down on his face at his feet, giving him thanks: and he was a Samaritan. 17 And Jesus answering said, Were there not ten cleansed? but where are the nine?
18 There are not found that returned to give glory to God, save this stranger. 19 And he said unto him, Arise, go thy way: thy faith hath made thee whole.
Outcast from family and society
Nothing to look forward to
No invitations to parties or weddings etc
No physical touch allowed
All of them facing death
Outer decay falls off first like the nose or the ear or the fingers and toes, then arm and leg Whole: complete, perfect, entire and not lacking any parts.
- Thank God for who He is not just what he has done. Vs 15 One of the guys turned around and glorified God for who He was.
He wasn't glorifying God for what He did but for who He was! That's called Leprosy worship.
He didn't thank God because his leprosy was cleansed but because of who God is.
Sometimes we are wondering why my answer hasn't come yet, why we are not healed yet. We need to Thank Him anyway not for what He can do for us but for who He is.
- "Go show yourself to the priest" Jesus told them. We need to get into the house of God, that is where the answer is. Counseling won't do it, but the house of God will.
As they went, they were cleansed. 9 of them went on home to show everyone they were cleansed now and could come back into society, but they were not made whole. They still had the effects of the leprosy on their body. It didn't spread, they had no more pain, they were clean and all that was exciting, so they went home to show family.
The 1 who came back and thanked Jesus was made whole! His finger was back on, his nose, his ear, and whatever had been missing, he was now complete and made whole.
Some of you have been through a crazy life, and the devil wants you to look like and smell like all the trials you have been through, but some of you don't look like what you have been through. You've started hanging around church and worshipping and thanking God and you don't look the same as the effects of the crazy life, you have been made whole, lacking no parts.
You don't get good to get God, You get God to get good!
Psalm 23 (TPT)
I The Lord is my best friend and my shepherd.
I always have more than enough.
- He offers a resting place for me in his luxurious love.
His tracks take me to an oasis of peace, the quiet brook of bliss.
- That's where he restores and revives my life. He opens before me pathways to God's pleasure and leads me along in his footsteps of righteousness so that I can bring honor to his name.
- Lord, even when your path takes me through the valley of deepest darkness, fear will never conquer me, for you already have!
You remain close to me and lead me through it all the way.
Your authority is my strength and my peace.
The comfort of your love takes away my fear. I'll never be lonely, for you are near.
- You become my delicious feast even when my enemies dare to fight.
You anoint me with the fragrance of your Holy Spirit; you give me all I can drink of you until my heart overflows.
- So why would I fear the future?
For your goodness and love pursue me all the days of my life.
Then afterward, when my life is through,
I'll return to your glorious presence to be forever with you!
Joel 2:25 (AMPC)
25 And I will restore or replace for you the years that the locust has eaten